Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Reversable Styrofoam Table-Top Table

Built in October 2010.


I've wanted a Styrofoam table to experiment with for a while. This allows the construction of items with very narrow bases, and with the help of pins, they can be stuck into the form and stood upright ! Envision telephone poles standing upright without bases!

Also hoping to put on a zombies based game for Halcon 2013, and this would let me bring my own "fancy" table top (and not suffer whatever size tables they may have there). Have to wait and see if that happens....



1.5" Blue Styrofoam. If using this for table tops, be aware of the overlapping edge, and the finished size of your project - as your edges might get very tight once you start cutting it - as it comes in 2' x 8' sections, which includes the overlapping edge part.



Once the 4' x 4' styro was glued & pinned together, I encased the edges with pine boards, giving me something to staple into.



Stapling.  I covered it in quilting fabric (to give it a soft touch, padding for the other wise hard surface) on both sides - and then on one side a White Sheet (for a Winter table), and the other side a Forest Green upholstery fabric (for a traditional Grassy table).




Around all that, I built a slighter taller board frame, allowing either side of the styro to be used by flipping it over, yet preventing either side to come in contact with the actual table top (thereby keeping it clean & undamaged).  A smaller inner frame of curved moulding was used to hold the styro to the outside frame.







Painted the wooden parts white.



Test Shot, with an O Scale Jug band.
The green material looks even better in person, every photo I've taken of it doesn't to it justice (esp in mixed sunlight/light bulb lighting situations).






Action shots of the table-top in use (its sitting on two side-by-side folding tables - this project has no legs of its own).
I like how the game area is well delineated from the table top - however I'd like to raise up the actual table surface, so it wasn't so far below.
The only use of the styro aspect of the table, was a long hobby T-pin holding down the white styro hill.

If I was to remake this project, I'd make it single sided only - easier to make, I wouldn't need the extra outside frame & moulding, it would be lighter and cheaper.



























































































No comments:

Post a Comment